This weekend was Ragnar Northwest Passage, a 196-mile relay race here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. It’s painful, it’s exhausting, and it’s great fun. Kind of like founding a startup. Here are 10 similarities:
1. You don’t get much sleep
2. It’s a small team. Each person is critical. And they smell bad.
3. You push hard to reach the goal, and then someone faster overtakes you
4. You meet a lot of great people along the way
5. Vanity Metrics
6. It’s not a straight route to the end of the race
7. You’re a volunteer
8. Print marketing is hard.
9. You can’t do it without an understanding spouse at home
10. You take a beating, and keep coming back for more